Friday, January 27, 2012

500 in 5 months

Five months ago I took the challenge to begin counting my blessings one by one.  My dear friend Alisa shared with our Bible Study Ann Voskamp's book "One Thousand Gifts" and blog aholyexperience.com . Watching Alisa face some of the most difficult trials her family has ever faced last year and seeing her joy in it all was contagious.  


8 hours before she was born, we were mall walking trying to encourage her to come out!


As I anticipated Mary Kathryn's arrival I knew all the joy and excitement, the newness of her presence would begin to fade as would the sunshine and warmth of fall turned to winter.   I knew the months ahead were going to be hard.  Finding the new rhythm of life, takes time, patience and practice when your family grows.  I remembered the cold months of January and February 2010, Levi was tiny and I was a mess.  I didn't know if I'd ever be "me" again.  I never found the "me" I thought I wanted back, but I did find the new and improved version of me!  The addition of the characteristic of being "Mommy" was born in me.  


Lyssa and Mary Kathryn, 1 hour old :)

I was confident that with the challenges of new a baby girl would come a harvest of blessing greater then I could imagine.  I also knew that harvest would not come easily; it would  take time, effort, and patience.  I decided that I would get into the habit of counteracting my sleepless nights, my physical & emotional exhaustion, my fear, my anxiety, and my frustrations with counting the smallest of blessings. 


I never could have imagined how counting my blessings (even the hard ones) could have made these long days of winter so enjoyable.  We have been battling sickness since the week before Christmas...#384 - Thank you, Lord, that I have the privilege to to be home for days on end with my sick babies.  Without the first 383 gifts, i never would have been able to thank Him for sickness and endless days stuck inside. 


Just the other day I realized I had counted 500 blessings in just 5 months!  #500...What comfort knowing You have no Plan B, all 500 of these thankfuls - easy, hard, happy & sad - are all essential components of Your beautiful plan for my life. 


A few thankfuls I just happened to get pictures of...

#23...a morning spent with Levi on the couch watching "Bobby"
the Bobcat  scoop up dirt & put it into the dump truck

#32...Levi's 1st night out of the crib - bittersweet
#43...Levi's excitement to take "nap-nap" in his big bed


#62...Our time as a family at Sky Top Orchard

#80...Bailey Rountree - so fun being mommies together!


#120...seeing Mary Kathryn sleep through Levi's party in Gigi's arms


#199...Fun costumes, Levi called himself the Cookie Monster
and Mary Kathryn was the angel on top of the Christmas tree.


#231...Mary Kathryn's 1st pair of ruffle pants


#243...SaraBeth Bass' healthy pregnancy


#274..."Happy Kathryn" - what a sweet nickname from Levi



#283...wearing cowgirl boots with a dress


#308...washing dirty finger & cheeks
#333...building a gingerbread house with Levi


#338...having the Christmas Tree Farm all to ourselves


#361...Levi's delight to collect all the snowman ("No-Man") ornaments


#371...Alyssa getting to fly home for Christmas 2 weeks early
#373...the way we laugh - she's may favorite person to laugh with


#437...his foot print of dried chocolate milk under the table


#443...Josh getting to be with Mary Kathryn the 1st time she sat up


#477...4 days of fever for Mary Kathryn - Lord, we know you are
 building her immune system
#492...swing shift allowing Josh to be home the first two days she was sick
 

8 comments:

Christy said...

Such an amazing testimony to your love for your family and more importantly your heavenly Father! Love these blessings!! Especially the chocolate foot print! I have almost finished Ann Voskamp's book and it is truly so inspiring as you said...amazing how it changes our outlook on life, motherhood, everything...love you friend, and love your devotion to this life God has blessed us with!!

Mary Elisabeth said...

So precious! Love your sweet thankfuls!

Alisa said...

Thankful #1063. ...Getting to enjoy your list of thankfuls!!!! Please share often. It was such a sweet blessing in my day. I loved the puzzle in the bed!

susannah said...

I cant tell you the encouragement and example you are to me. I have tears of joy for you and your sweet family. I love you and thank you for sharing!

aubrey said...

thank you, sweet friends, for your encouraging words! it has been a very fun 1st week of blogging :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking about starting a blog but I didn't think I had anything important enough to write about. I think I might steal your blessings idea to get me started.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking about starting a blog but I didn't think I had anything important enough to write about. I think I might steal your blessings idea to get me started.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking about starting a blog but I didn't think I had anything important enough to write about. I think I might steal your blessings idea to get me started.