Thursday, December 07, 2006

it's not christmas w/o the christmas tree
















6 of My Favorite Christmas Tree Memories: (no specific order)

1. The scent...I have NEVER had an artificial tree before!!! It is the scent of Christmas.

2. White lights...sorry to all of you die hard colored light fans, but I'm a white light kinda girl. They are so bright, you don't have to ues the overhead light all season. They remind of what I imagine the angles looking like when they came to see the shepherds. (I don't know they could be "colored" angles and all give off different colored light...guess we'll have to wait and see.) And the pure white light also reminds me of the bright star that lead the wisemen to Jesus.

3. Last year was my favorite time cutting down our tree...first it was Josh and I's first Christmas so that made it special, but it was extra special b/c it was Josh's first time cutting down a Christmas tree (he had always had an artificial tree, NEVER had a real one before last year). As a first timer he had NO IDEA what is involved in seeting up and caring for a live tree. He had about had it when we had to buy 2 different tree stands and when the lights didn't work at first. He also had no clue how BIG the trees are. So he picked out one that looked not too big and deffinitely not too little (in the field). But when we got it home it was WAY TOO BIG!!! We measured it to be 6 - 6.5 feet across the bottom branches. It was so big we had to move the couch out of the house for Christmas. We named her Ulga b/c of her size.

4. Stringing popcorn...as a family we would watch It's A Wonderful Life and string popcorn to put on the tree.

5. The train...my dad spent hours some times setting up the train that goes around the bottom of the Christmas tree. Once it was set up we would see how fast we could get it to go before it would fly off the track.

6. Ornaments...I love pulling out the ornaments and all the memories that come with them. I remember this UGLY gingerbread man ornament I made for my dad and every year I didn't want to put it on the tree, but Mom always managed to get it on there even if it was in the back.

Help me come up with (at least) 4 more of your favorite memories.

2 comments:

~marie said...

i love a big tree!!!

hmmm... i remember the ornaments from my childhood so vividly. i remember lying on the floor under the tree and looking at them over and over again.
my favorite was a little schoolhouse with a ringing bell.

Mary Bell said...

great pics!!!
one of my favorites was and still is, leaving a gross snack for "Santa". When we were little we thought, if Santa is real, he will eat a gross snack, just to be nice, anybody can eat cookies (parents) so we would prepare something our parents didn't like, (green beans, boiled eggs, buttermilk,etc) we still do it every Christmas eve, they get more gross every year. funny huh!!!
love you, mary